Thursday, July 11, 2019

Working with colour...

Good morning all,
I'm very excited to be back on the Scrapmatts blog sharing some of my more recent projects.

I love bright everything and when my six kids were younger all I had were photos full of bright colours to work with.  Hot pinks, reds, neon greens ... any given day in my household used to look like a Wiggles video clip!

But kids grow up and my how they have changed. Now my life is full of neutrals, black and whites and and denim. Often the only colour in my pictures is flesh tone! I'm duly horrified of course. 

The only thing worse is the recent trend of mustard clothing that has entered our lives! MUSTARD people!! On a recent family holiday I spent most of my time staring in utter disbelief as my kids paraded about in clothing that ranged from bright mustard to dull mustard.

'How am I supposed to scrap these photos??'
was my constant question. 
'There's more to life then scrapbooking mum'
was their go-to reply.
'No. No theres not'
was mine. lol
🤣

I'm yet to face down the dreaded mustard photos but I did manage to conquer the flesh tone and denim dilemma thanks to some very targeted paper selection. It's wonderful that there are so many choices of paper collections out there for us these days and so many beautiful embellishments to work with them  💙

Here is my first layout, made using the Breath Collection from Kaisercraft and some divine Scrapmatts chipboards...


There was only a little greenery in the original photo but I did my best to pull this green into the layout using lovely plant chipboards...



To pull in a variety of colours I ripped out the old paints for colouring the chipboard this time and created a variegation effect by blending shades. You can achieve the same look by using inks of course, but paint just seems to add an extra layer of dimension that is difficult to achieve with ink.


I also threw in this gorgeous set of pine needles circles as it worked perfectly with the greenery in the photo. 




The next layout I'm sharing today contains examples those fabulous black/white and flesh tone photos I was raving about earlier. For this layout I just focused in on the flesh tones to soften those black and white stripes.


The collectables pack for this particular range was pretty sparse so I lifted the layout using some of the fabulous corners and words Scrapmats have available.




Again I went for the painterly look, this time going nice and messy to bring out some playful contrast to the striking and solid designs on the background papers.



And at the end of all that I had these few chipboard pieces left over...
I seriously don't do left overs, I want to use everything I open up, so i made a quick step card up with the last of the pine needles chippies.



I had packed away my paints by this point in the day, so I just used some markers to colour the chipboard pieces, it's not quite as dynamic as the paint, but for a quick card it worked just fine.


Thanks heaps for popping over to the blog for a look.
Have a great month creating away xo

Cheers from Kel. 🙂



4 comments: